Why do change initiatives fail?
Often it’s because we fail to see organizational change as individual change.
For any change initiative:
- What each person needs to start, stop, and continue doing is unique to them
- What each person thinks and feels about the change is unique to them
- What motivates each person is unique to them
- What each person needs to address and overcome their stressors and barriers is unique to them
This means that every large-scale change initiative benefits from individual attention, coaching, and support.
Struggling with organizational change?
- Spend time getting to know each individual’s situation, needs, stressors, and barriers
- Work together to identify ways to overcome the barriers
- Recognize that resistance is a barrier that becomes bigger and stronger when we push, punish, and ignore